Mac Miller has been touring like a beast, but on Saturday, April 7, the 20-year-old rapper adds a new milestone: Headliner at Paid Dues, the annual hip hop festival also featuring Wu-Tang Clan, Dipset and Odd Future among many others.
"It feels great, man," Miller told Fuse about his headlining role. "I’m just excited to be a part of this festival at all no matter where I am. But the fact that they put me [as headliner] is awesome. I’m just doing everything I can to make sure I give them the best show they can imagine."
But don't forget: Mac is, first and foremost, a hip hop fan. So we were curious who he's excited to see at the festival. And before you start a rap message board war, these are in alphabetical order. Dude's not playing favorites.
1. Dipset: Cam is the homie. At one point in my life, Dipset was the biggest thing in the world. Cam and I are definitely going to do something [together]. It’s not the next thing I have coming, but it’s something we’re working on for a later date.
2. Kendrick Lamar: He’s just one of my favorite rappers right now. He’s so talented and a legend in the making. I’m just excited as a fan to hear all my favorite Kendrick songs performed live. I went to his show at SOBs and it was dope. Section 80 was definitely one of my favorite albums of the year. I listen to that album a ridiculous amount. I think it’s a classic and will be an album people listen to for a long, long time. I’m excited to see what he’ll do next.
3. Odd Future: I’ve never seen them perform live and I know that’s about to be crazy. I’m cool with them all. I just beat Taco’s ass in NBA 2K. You can put that out. I beat him by 11 and he was talking all this s**t and he got beat by Most Dope. Those dudes are just funny as hell and they just make dope music together. They’re not scared or worried about how they look; they’re just doing whatever the f**k they want to do and you have to respect that.
When you’re young in this game, a lot of people are very critical of you and analyze everything you’re doing and sometimes don’t take you seriously because you’re younger than everyone. It’s like, “F**k whatever anyone else feels about the situation. I’m just going to be myself. I’m not worried about being a young dude. I’m just doing what I feel like doing.”
4. Three 6 Mafia: Those are the homies. They just have a great show and they all get super crunk. I love trippy drug music. That’s what so much of Three 6 is. Their music is super hard, but it’s also very trippy and that’s a very good mixture to me.
5. Wu-Tang Clan: How can you not be excited for them? I love them all, but growing up, I was a Method Man and ODB fan. Method Man just has that swagger; he’s just a funny dude and “Method Man” is such a dope song to me. Ol Dirty Bastard, Rest in Peace. Everything about him is incredible. He was such a character and it comes out so much through his music. Also, RZA is creative and artistic and someone who’s such an architect.